If you had a chance to visit us at last Saturday’s market, you know what a decadent meal this recipe leads to. If you’re like us and love a little adventure in the kitchen, try your hand at recreating perfection with Joanna’s homemade osso-bucco recipe.
- 2 pounds veal (or beef) shanks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup beef (or Chicken) stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dust the veal shanks lightly with flour. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the veal, and cook until browned on the outside. Remove to a bowl, and keep warm. Add two cloves of crushed garlic and onion to the skillet; cook until onion is translucent. Mix in the carrot and wine and scrape all the goodies off the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the shanks, onion, carrot and wine mixture to a crock pot. Pour in the tomatoes and beef stock, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for at least 6 hours. The meat should be tender, but not falling off the bone.
- Serve with Polenta or grits made with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!