Osso Bucco (Braised Beef Shanks)
Osso Bucco is one of my favorite meals to make! This is an absolutely mouth-watering Italian comfort food that everyone should try at least once! Source: https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/
Originally posted on https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/ recipe by Karlynn of The Kitchen Magpie.
- 2-3 pounds beef shanks cut into 3-4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 large white onion sliced into rings
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- one 540 milliliters can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you want, dredge the beef shanks through flour and coat it. ( I skip this to keep it lower carb)
- Melt the butter in a large oven safe braising pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Fry the beef shanks in the butter until browned on the outside.
- Remove the beef shanks to a plate, and keep warm.
- Add the onion slices to the skillet; cook and stir until the onion is tender. Add in the garlic and the carrots and fry until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan at this point. Stir in the beef broth and the tomatoes.
- Return the beef to the pan, making sure the shanks are submerged in the sauce.
- The best way to cook now is to place the lid on top and cook the shanks in a 300 °F for 4-5 hours, until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- For stove top, cover and simmer on the stove top over low heat for 2-3 hours, checking and moving the meat occasionally to ensure that the bottom is not burning.
For additional information and helpful tips, please visit: https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/