Nose-to-Tail Series: Homemade Chicharrones
Chicharrones are salty, crunchy and savory, and they are the perfect low-carb or keto solution for a snack attack! They also couldn’t be easier to make!
You’ll only need three ingredients to make homemade pork rinds (the exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below):
1. Raw pork skin
2. Olive oil: I love the taste of olive oil and how perfectly it’s crisps up the pork skin!
3. Kosher salt: I highly recommend using coarse kosher salt in this chicharrones recipe. Fine salt will not be as good. You can use anywhere from 1 to 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pork skin into bite-size pieces. If the skin has a thick layer of lard attached to it, trim some of the fat, but don’t go nuts about it – it’s OK and very tasty to leave a thin layer of fat attached to the skin.
- Arrange the pork skin on the prepared baking sheet, skin side up and fat side down, in a single layer. Make sure the skin pieces don’t touch each other.
- Generously coat the pork skin with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. If using, sprinkle with additional spices.
- Bake until crispy and golden. Depending on your oven, this should take between 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Transfer the chicharrones to paper towels, skin side up, and allow them to cool for 20 minutes before enjoying them. They greatly improve in taste and texture after they cool.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Remove them from the fridge 30 minutes before enjoying them.